by Marlene Fabian Stiles and Hank Fabian
GENRE: Science Fiction
It is the year 2051 and the International Space Institute has just sent two rival astrobiologists to search for extraterrestrial life on Europa, the mysterious ice moon of Jupiter. What they encounter could not only revolutionize science, it might make one of them the most famous person on Earth. Or does the Universe have other plans?
Sure enough, Bikman returned alone the next day and held out an empty bilum.
Gnesh sounded exasperated. “We can’t give him any more. What are we going to eat?” Spreading his empty hands Charlie said, “I have nothing more to give you.”
Bikman’s eyebrows shot up.
“You ‘no sabe,’ right?” Charlie leafed through his dictionary. “Someday I’ll have to teach you some English.”
“Or you’ll learn Tok Pisin,” Gnesh teased.
“Nogat…nogat… mo. Nogat mo,” Charlie read aloud. When Bikman stared down at his empty sack, Charlie relented and took a small headlamp out of his pocket. “Here, for you.”
“I hope you have another one,” Gnesh muttered as Charlie showed the chief how the headlamp worked.
Bikman smiled and held out his hand again. “Givim one thousand dollah.”
The astrobiologists looked at each other. “He knows some English,” Gnesh said. Charlie turned back to the chief. “Why one thousand dollars?”
Bikman grinned. “Baim president.”
Charlie’s jaw dropped. “You want to buy our president?”
Gnesh rolled his laughter into a hoarse cough. “He’s not kidding, Charlie. I read about a tribe that tried to buy Lyndon Johnson back in the 1960s.”
Charlie was curious. “Why baim president?”
“President bringum kago. Kago gutpela.”
Charlie phrased his response carefully. “No thousand dollars. Now baim president one hundred thousand dollars.”
Interview with Marlene and Hank
- What is the sweetest thing someone has done for you? Hank gave Marlene his Prius because her car was a gas guzzler. That is sweetness personified with whipped cream and a cherry on top!
- How would you spend ten thousand bucks? Hank would travel. Marlene and Hank would both support environmental causes and animal charities.
- Where do you get your best ideas? Hank’s best ideas come while he is hiking or from reading articles in scientific journals. Marlene’s inspiration often comes while she is meditating in the early morning with a cat on her lap.
- What comes first, plot or characters? In our case the plot always seems to come first and the characters evolve to answer the dilemmas of the plot.
- What does your main character do to make him special? Our main character Charlie is a likable individual but flawed by an intolerance for others’ perceived stupidity and a sense of self-importance. His death-defying exploration of Europa helps transform him into a tolerant person who is willing to put the good of others above his own interests.
AUTHOR Bios and Links:
The family that writes together stays together, so siblings Marlene Fabian Stiles and Hank Fabian co-authored a science fiction adventure that explores Jupiter’s moon Europa as two rival astrobiologists race to be the first to find extraterrestrial life. This discovery should ensure the winner fame and fortune, but the Universe has other plans.
Hank is the guy walking around with a long lens camera and binoculars, a tourist of the world fascinated by every creature that moves and every plant that grows. He teaches biology and helped devise a college genetics program. As a scientist he likes to work with facts, so there’s a possibility that the creatures he’s created actually exist!
Marlene is the president of a nonprofit, The I Will Projects, dedicated to advancing educational venues that include a middle school aquaponics program in partnership with the Boys and Girls Club which received a NASA grant. She writes in multiple genres and also has published “Elderchild,” an Alzheimer’s narrative written in the first person. She shares Hank’s love of the natural world and is dazzled by the interconnectivity of all living things.
Hank Fabian Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/stores/author/B0B9HTNXX7/about
One randomly drawn winner will receive a $25 Amazon/BN GC.